Candle wax can spill on carpet and create a difficult mess to clean. Hot wax dries and hardens and sticks in carpet fibers, leaving you wondering about how to get it out of your carpet. Thankfully, there are a few ways that you can get candle wax out of your carpet without damaging it. These methods to get wax out of carpet will ensure you keep your carpet looking its best, even in the midst of a candle wax mishap.
Step 1: Scrape off excess wax.
Step 2: Cover with brown paper.
Step 3: Apply warm iron until remaining wax is absorbed. Be sure paper is large enough to cover the stained area. Take care never to touch the iron to the carpet as the fiber might melt.
Step 4: Change paper or rotate to clean area and repeat until all material is absorbed.
Step 1: Scrape or blot up excess spill.
Step 2: Freeze with ice cubes.
Step 3: Shatter with blunt object like the back of a large spoon.
Step 4: Vacuum chips away before they melt.
1. Detergent: Mix 1/2 teaspoon clear dishwashing detergent with one cup of warm (not hot) water.
2. Pre-soak Solution: Mix 1 teaspoon enzyme laundry detergent (such as Axion, Biz, or others) with one cup of water.
3. Dry Powder Cleaner: Use powdered carpet cleaners.
4. Dry Cleaning Solvent: Non-oily, non-caustic type sold as spot removal for garments. Caution: May be flammable.
No matter how you’ve ended up with candle wax in your carpet, these methods are sure to provide you ways to safely remove it. By following the instructions above, you can be rest assured that your carpet will be free from damages and stains.
* Note: Not all carpet fibers react the same way when treated for stains. Before proceeding with any of the preceding cleaning procedures, we recommend you contact the appropriate fiber company for their suggested maintenance guidelines. Failure to follow these carpet stain removal guidelines may void your warranty. For more information, please contact your Carpet One retailer.
Note: If your carpet has an Ultra 25a Warranty, you must call 3M directly prior to treating any stain. Failure to do this will void your warranty.
Have another stain? Check out our carpet stain removal guide.